Re: Jikes RVM & mauve tests

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Jikes RVM & mauve tests
Date: 31 Jan 2003 18:32:57 -0500

David P Grove <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
>       I've been experimenting a little bit with running Mauve tests
> on top of Jikes RVM and GNU Classpath.  This generally does pretty
> well, except that there are massive failures on
> java.lang.Character.unicode ("make check
> KEYS=!java. java.lang.Character" yields 136460 of 3603803 tests
> failed).  Before looking into this further, I just wanted to verify
> that the classpath libraries are expected to pass these tests.

There may be Character problems... I tend not to run it because it (a)
takes a while and (b) inflates positive results out of proportion with
other class tests.  I believe this is another area where gcj/classpath
differ as well.

>       On the bright side, "make check KEYS=!java.net
> !java.lang.Character.unicode" yields 127 of 2017 tests failed.
> Roughly half of these failures are because Jikes RVM has never
> bothered to implement thread priorities (easily fixed).
>
>       I excluded java.net because of the following javac compilation
> problem...is this expected?
> public class TestSocketImplFactory
>        ^
> gnu/testlet/java/net/Socket/SocketTest.java:203: Socket() has protected
> access in java.net.Socket
>       sock = new Socket (); // unconnected socket

This last one is because I was looking at more recent docs which
indicate it is a public constructor but in JDK 1.1 it was protected.
I need to move this particular test to another file with appropriate
tags entry.  On the bright side it should have compiled and worked for
you using JDK 1.4 (you mention javac) or Classpath + Jikes.

Thanks,
Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>