VMThrowable.java

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: VMThrowable.java
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:20:48 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'm looking at classpath for a JVM project and have a question about the
way things are set up.

Ideally, a JVM should "just work" with the default classpath sources, and
this seems to be an explicit goal of classpath. In particular, one should
not have to modify the Java source files for each JVM (i.e., the files in
"vm/reference" should work for most JVM's).

Howver, the java.lang.VMThrowable class doesn't seem to follow this rule,
because fillInStackTrace() and getStackTrace() are not native methods.
I.e., most JVM's would want to actually implement these methods, and that
means not only implementing native methods but modifying VMThrowable.java
to make the methods native in the first place. This seems to me like an
oversight.

As a side note, why does VMThrowable.getStackTrace() take a Throwable
parameter? It seems unnecessary.

Apologies in advance if I'm confused :-)

Thanks,
-Archie

Archie Cobbs     *     Packet Design     *     http://www.packetdesign.com