Re: Math patch

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: Math patch
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:29:45 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Jeroen Frijters wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Attached is a small patch to java.lang.Math to make round(float) and
> round(double) do the right thing for NaN.
>
> Style wise, is it a good idea to use "a != a" to test for NaN, or should
> Double.isNaN() be used?

This is an old chestnut. ;) For some VMs, Double.isNaN() will translate to
an (expensive) JNI method call. For others it's no big deal. So on the
whole "a != a" seems like the better bet. Hm, I see Wonka's java.lang.Math
contains 21 "a != a" constructs and 2 "Double.isNaN(a)"'s. :-/

What we really need is
#define isNaN(a) ((a) != (a))

;>

--