Re: Classpath / GCJ java.io Merge

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: Classpath / GCJ java.io Merge
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:55:14 -0800

Brian Jones wrote:
I have noticed that for a good deal of CNI code it is quite straight
forward to turn it into C or C++ based JNI instead.  There was a Perl
script that someone purported to do some of this a while ago.  I'm
tempted to play with it a bit.

That would be great, but surprising.  I would think you'd need
a fair bit of analysis to convert CNI to JNI.

If we could maintain native methods in readable CNI, possibly
with some annotations/conventions to ease the script's job,
and generate JNI automatically from that, it might solve
much of the CNI vs JNI problems.  For the hard bits, we could
use #ifdef CNI sections.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/