Re: Math patch

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: Math patch
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:21:17 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Chris Gray wrote:

> Know the feeling. ;> It's got me thinking too though - I might at least
> instrument Wonka to find out what the size distribution of static methods
> is. If there are a lot of one-liners or empty(!) methods then there may be
> some low-hanging fruit to be had ...

Hm. See the attached results for our mauve suite and visual test engine -
neither of which employ the getter/setter style to any noticeable extent.
In both cases the biggest win would probably come from inlining random(),
but you'd need to gather data at runtime to know that. There are a lot of
4-byte methods (just one byte longer than the getstatic() instruction
itself), but most are only called once ...

We have pondered the idea of bytecode rewriting as a complimentary
technique to JITting, but up to now we never did anything about it. Maybe
it's worth looking at after all.

Cheers

--

Chris Gray