RE: Class loader optimization patch

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Class loader optimization patch
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:57:35 +0100

Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Here's another slant on this idea: if you don't care about the
> stack trace, there's no reason an exception object can't be
> reused. So the native code could just keep around a pre-allocated
> exception object and throw it over and over again as necessary.
> Since it's always caught, it will never "escape" into any code
> that could try to print out its stack trace.

Just to point out that not all VMs are the same, on ikvm throwing an
exception will always cause a stack trace to be built, I cannot avoid
that, because that is just the way the underlying platform (.NET) works.

BTW, the stack crawl is basically what I'm trying to avoid, object
allocation is not a bottle neck for me, but when Eclipse is starting up
the stacks are fairly deep and like Mark said there are multiple levels
of class loaders loading on the order of 3000 classes before Eclipse
starts up. Throwing ClassNotFoundExceptions is a major part of the
Eclipse startup time for ikvm.

Regards,
Jeroen