RE: Class loader optimization patch

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Class loader optimization patch
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:57:57 +0100

Brian Jones wrote:
> "Jeroen Frijters" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > For reference, starting eclipse.exe (using Sun's JRE 1.4.1) takes 11
> > seconds.
>
> Is Hotspot providing this factor of 10 improvement?  I assume the
> measurement was with the client hotspot.

Not sure what you mean, but yes, that measurement was taken with the
HotSpot Client VM. The startup time difference between Sun's VM and ikvm
isn't due to HotSpot though. Class loading is just very slow on ikvm,
because it has to convert the Java classes into .NET classes and then
the .NET runtime has to load those, plus the fact that my
verifier/compiler isn't very fast either and I probably have to load
more classes than the Sun VM (because I cannot be as lazy as I would
like to, due to the design of the dynamic code generation support in
.NET).

Regards,
Jeroen