RE: Class loader optimization patch

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Class loader optimization patch
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:54:01 +0100

Sascha Brawer wrote:
> Couldn't you cache the result of the conversion? You might find [1] an
> interesting paper: It discusses caching the results of a JIT compiler.
> The dependency tracking might possibly be applicable to your
> situation as
> well (I'm not sure, though -- the Common Language Runtime
> might already
> do this for you). Or maybe, you could generate a CLI assembly for an
> entire JAR file when a class is requested through your JAR ClassLoader
> for the first time.

I plan to do something like that in the future, but at the moment it is
very low priority. I first need to get more important stuff working.
"Normal" applications I can already statically compile, Eclipse makes
life interesting with all the class loader tricks it plays ;-)

Something more related to Classpath I've been thinking about recently,
has anyone ever thought about putting hooks in URLClassLoader to support
caching JITed classes?

Regards,
Jeroen