Re: More finalize woes

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: More finalize woes
Date: 05 Mar 2003 22:47:17 -0700

>> java.util.zip.[De|In]flater both have an empty finalize method "for
>> compatibility". Is this really necessary?

Dalibor> Yes, in order to have reflection on these methods
Dalibor> working. A pretty good reason in my opinion.

I'm not so sure.  It seems to me that anybody using reflection has to
be aware of, and understand, the Java binary compatibility rules.
Implementing or not implementing finalize doesn't affect binary
compatibility, so it should be a change we are free to make.

Tom