Re: Want to help in integrating swing.

From: Ronald Veldema
Subject: Re: Want to help in integrating swing.
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 13:56:10 +0100

Hi Clemens,
I did the initial implementation and others patched it up a bit since then.
I was able to get a window with some buttons in them working.
However, they do not look like the real deal and other components
don't work at all yet.
In short what is missing is:
   - basic and metal PLAF's (these can be copied from others perhaps.
   there are some fairly complete PLAF implementations on they web,
   GPL-ed with a little luck as well)
   - editor support (JText*, JEdit*)
   - JList needs to be brought up.
   - etc.
I stopped at some point because the awt implementation wasn't up to it.
R.

Clemens Eisserer wrote:

Hi there!

Frst I want to thank you for what you've been done, Java is a so great
language, its not fine that only one big company can control the whole
java-market.
Classpath is great!

I come from GCJ, I'm not very experienced in Java-Hacking, but I want to help
with SWING, because I think its extremly useful for me and of course for others.
The only thing I know is, that GCJ has a more or less complete AWT-Integration,
which with 3.2 I wasnt able to work with.
I'm now building 3.3 to see the current state of integration.

Because swing is completly independent of native stuff, it should theoreticaly
be possible, to code SWING for both, GNU-Classpath and GCJs one, that means the
SWING-Stuff could be merged simply to GCJ, without chabging the source. Am I
right?

I want to ask, if you need help, how functional the swing-implementation is,
and how I could help.
EG. how useable are JButton, JLabel, etc. Is GridBagLayout ready....

I wanna help, help, help. I want to have compiled swing-apps ;-)

cu Clemens Eisserer