Opengl java2d implementation (Was: Re: Want to help in integrating swing

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Opengl java2d implementation (Was: Re: Want to help in integrating swing. Really last question.)
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 15:32:02 +0100

Sascha Brawer wrote:

However, there exists a library which allows the Sun Java 2D
implementation to run on top of OpenGL (using GL4Java). See http://
www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/agile2d/

Yes, I know, it was discussed on this list two or three months ago. Their implementation covers basic 2d functionality, but none of really complicated stuff is implemented (raster-based functionality, meaning composites, paints, etc). I have done some experiments on implementing opengl java2d myself, but it seems that full software path has to be implemented anyway for most complicated cases. Which leaves opengl only for acceleration (and not as I have hoped, for simplifying part of implementation).

Question is if classpath will have any benefits from having 70% complete accelerated java2d implementation, at the same time requiring additional 100% work to get rest of stuff implemented (not just 30%, as base stuff would need to be reimplemented to pure-software path), plus code being a lot more complicated due to need for fallbacks from acceleration everywhere ?

Artur