Re: Want to help in integrating swing. Really last question.

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Want to help in integrating swing. Really last question.
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 00:33:20 -0800 (PST)

--- Brian Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dalibor Topic <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > --- Linuxhippy <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Btw.: Does anybody know good tutorials about the
> > > swing-internals,
> > > because its not allowed to look at sun-sources,
> its
> > > for a newbie like me
> > > quite hard to work only with apidoc.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm not aware of an offer of
> similar
> > quality like the 'Java Class Libraries' by Chen
> et.
> > al. for SWING.
> >
> > There is Sun's Swing tutorial [1], which provides
> > reasonable overview of how the things are supposed
> > be used.
> >
> > You can read some interesting articles on SWING on
> the
> > SWING connection [2].
> >
> > The apparently rather good Swing book by Robinson
> and
> > Vorobiev is avaliable online [3].
> >
> > hope this helps,
> > dalibor topic
> >
> > [1]
> >
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/javatutorial/jfc.html
> > [2]
> http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/index.html
> > [3] http://manning.spindoczine.com/sbe/
>
> O'Reilly's Swing book offers a little insight into
> the internals of
> Swing, it does talk about making your own L&F.

Talking about books, I've browsed the 'Pure JFC Swing'
book, and while the examples are quite nice and well
commented, the author decided to kill a few trees in
order to waste a few hundred pages on a compacted
reprint of Sun's SWING API docs. That's why I can't
recommend it. Half of the book is dead paperweight. ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic