Re: More finalize woes

From: Stephen Crawley
Subject: Re: More finalize woes
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:11:04 +1000

> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Stephen Crawley wrote:
> > An unnecessary call to java.lang.Object.finalize() won't hurt anyone.
>
> Be careful: IIRC we once had a bug in Wonka which made _every_ instance
> appear to be finalizable, and the effect on performance was um, noticeable ...

Point taken.  But my comment referred to the impact of adding an
explicit super.finalize() call to a non-trivial finalizer ... in the
context of a proposed change to gcj and/or jikes to add a compilation
warning for missing finalizer chaining calls.

Anyway, I've concluded that the detail we were arguing about is a "line
ball", and that it doesn't really make much difference either way which
way the change works.

-- Steve