Re: Fw: Running Eclipse on Jikes RVM and Classpath

From: Julian Dolby
Subject: Re: Fw: Running Eclipse on Jikes RVM and Classpath
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:19:23 -0400

Brian,
      The scripts are designed to build the classpath libraries for you,
but can be made to use your own build.  The CLASSPATH_ROOT directory is a
parent directory that contains (at least) the classpath sources in a
subdirectory called `classpath' and build directory for your platform.  If
you just have the `classpath' source directory, then the scripts will build
the platfom-specific build for you (essentially, it will run `configure'
and `make' in the build directory).  If the source directory already
exists, the script will simply use that, so you can make it whatever
version of the classpath code you like.

  If you want to use your own build, you need to make the build directory
that the scripts expect.  I assume you are on linux, in which case it must
be called `i686-pc-linux-gnu', that is, you need to make
$CLASSPATH_ROOT/i686-pc-linux-gnu and run configure and make there.  Please
look at the jBuildClasspathJar script to see what options we give to
configure; you may want to use some or all of these.  If you build this
directory yourself, the scripts will simply use it.  The scripts do not
understand changes to the classpath source, so if you change
$CLASSPATH_ROOT/classpath at all, you must re-run make in the build
directory yourself.

  Finally, note that builds of JikesRVM include library class files, so if
you rebuild the libraries, you must also rerun jbuild to get a new VM
image.  Hopefully, this build system will work for you; if not, we will be
happy to work with you to get something that does.

      -- Julian

                      Michael Hind