Re: Fw: Running Eclipse on Jikes RVM and Classpath

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Fw: Running Eclipse on Jikes RVM and Classpath
Date: 30 Apr 2003 23:54:05 -0400

Julian Dolby <address@hidden> writes:

> Brian,
>       The scripts are designed to build the classpath libraries for you,
> but can be made to use your own build.  The CLASSPATH_ROOT directory is a
> parent directory that contains (at least) the classpath sources in a
> subdirectory called `classpath' and build directory for your platform.  If
> you just have the `classpath' source directory, then the scripts will build
> the platfom-specific build for you (essentially, it will run `configure'
> and `make' in the build directory).  If the source directory already
> exists, the script will simply use that, so you can make it whatever
> version of the classpath code you like.

See, I was setting CLASSPATH_ROOT to /home/cbj/cvs/classpath where
classpath contains configure, etc.  I had to set it to /home/cbj/cvs
instead.

>   If you want to use your own build, you need to make the build directory
> that the scripts expect.  I assume you are on linux, in which case it must
> be called `i686-pc-linux-gnu', that is, you need to make
> $CLASSPATH_ROOT/i686-pc-linux-gnu and run configure and make there.  Please
> look at the jBuildClasspathJar script to see what options we give to
> configure; you may want to use some or all of these.  If you build this
> directory yourself, the scripts will simply use it.  The scripts do not
> understand changes to the classpath source, so if you change
> $CLASSPATH_ROOT/classpath at all, you must re-run make in the build
> directory yourself.
>
>   Finally, note that builds of JikesRVM include library class files, so if
> you rebuild the libraries, you must also rerun jbuild to get a new VM
> image.  Hopefully, this build system will work for you; if not, we will be
> happy to work with you to get something that does.

Okay, I have the following error with yesterday's CVS.  I see no
problem with rerunning jbuild as long as I use the BaseBaseSemiSpace
to avoid long build times.  This unescape paren problem appears in a
few places in jbuild.copy on my system.  I'm using pdksh on Red Hat
8.0.  I'll give the last "released" version a try in the near future.

make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/cbj/cvs/i686-pc-linux-gnu/vm'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cbj/cvs/i686-pc-linux-gnu/vm'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/cbj/cvs/i686-pc-linux-gnu'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cbj/cvs/i686-pc-linux-gnu'
Building /home/cbj/cvs/rvmRoot/support/lib/classpathsrc.jar
jbuild.expand: (templates cleaned) 223 s
jbuild.copy: (sources cleaned) 223 s
jbuild.compile: (classes cleaned)  223 s
jbuild.linkImage: (primordials cleaned) (bootimage cleaned)  223 s
jbuild.linkBooter: (booter cleaned)  223 s
jbuild.expand: (classloader templates expanded)  232 s
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/cbj/cvs/rvmRoot/rvm/src/tools/preprocessor'
/usr/bin/g++ -g preprocessModifiedFiles.C -o
/home/cbj/cvs/rvmBuild/RVM.scratch/preprocessModifiedFiles
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cbj/cvs/rvmRoot/rvm/src/tools/preprocessor'
./jbuild.copy[33]: syntax error: `(' unexpected
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>