Re: Classpath compilation error in javax/swing/plaf/BorderUIResource.ja

From: Sascha Brawer
Subject: Re: Classpath compilation error in javax/swing/plaf/BorderUIResource.java
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:59:28 +0200

Stephen Crawley <address@hidden> wrote on Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:38:45
+1000:

>   312.     return new CompoundBorder (outsideBorder, insideBorder);
>                   <---------------------------------------------->
>*** Error: No match was found for constructor
>  "CompoundBorder(javax.swing.border.Border, javax.swing.border.Border)".
>
>[...]
>
>In the 'head' revision of CompoundBorder.java, there is no two parameter
>constructor.  [The revision is 1.3, and was last updated on Tue Apr 30
>21:37:27 2002 UTC by 'mark'.]

The most current version of CompoundBorder.java seems to be 1.4; 2003/06/
10 14:34:48;  author: mkoch.

While it does have the lacking constructors, I noticed some funny things
while looking at rev1.4 of javax/swing/border/CompoundBorder.java:

* Why does CompoundBorder.isBorderOpaque() always return false? Sun's
JavaDoc at [1] says: "Returns true if both the inside and outside borders
are non-null and opaque; returns false otherwise."

* The paintBorder method should paint the outside and inside borders at
proper insets. Right now, it does not do anything.

* The insets calculation is incorrect.

* Finally, some methods are missing in comparision to [1].

Maybe the person who is currently working on Swing could fix those? I
could do so as well, but I'm rather hesitating to hack into a file that
somebody else is currently working on.

Best regards,

-- Sascha Brawer, address@hidden, http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/javax/swing/border/