Re: configure.in

From: Stephen Crawley
Subject: Re: configure.in
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:36:42 +1000

Brian,

You wrote:
> You can ignore the complaint, the macros are never hit unless
> defined.

You are correct (I discovered ...)

> If uncommenting that pattern_allow stuff works I'll do it,

Uncommenting the m4_pattern_allow calls works for me.

I think it would be a good idea to do this:

  1) The autoconf error messages >>do<< appear to be saying that
     autoconf has failed.  This view is supported by autoconf setting a
     non-zero rc.

  2) IMO, it is a bad idea to depend on correct output from a (possibly)
     failed autoconf run.

  3) It is easier to fix the error message than to document it :-)

> but it looks like a hack by my reading of the autoconf manual.

That's debatable :-)

-- Steve