Re: suggested way to structure changes to String, Float, Double

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: suggested way to structure changes to String, Float, Double
Date: 26 Jun 2003 17:30:22 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 17:02, David P Grove wrote:
>         One way I could proceed would be to add VMString, VMFloat, and
> VMDouble classes and move the bodies of the relevant methods to these new
> classes.  This seems to be consistent with the way other classes are
> structured.  If this sounds reasonable, I'd be happy to put together a
> patch and submit it.  If people have other suggestions that get the same
> effect, that would be fine too.

That sound like a good approach. Make sure to provide reference versions
of the VMString/Float/Double (in vm/reference/java/lang) that use the
current JNI based implementation. And make the classes package private
and final and the methods whenever possible static to give the VM a big
hint that it should inline these proxy method/classes whenever possible.