Re: Benchmarks (who has the fastest free VM)

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Benchmarks (who has the fastest free VM)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 07:11:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kazayuki,

--- address@hidden wrote:
> > Something to note: At least for IKVM (and I suspect for others as well),
> > the floating point benchmarks are probably inflated since I don't think
> > it implements FP correctly (i.e. it uses x86 FP and not the JVM model).
>
> The Java 2 JVM model allows double-precision arithmetic in x86 FP
> semantics as long as the enclosing method or class is not specified as
> `strictfp'.  So, those results are not inflated.
>
> I agree most JVMs have not implemented the FP-strict semantics except
> JDK 1.4 and later, BulletTrain (an AOT compiler) and shuJIT.

speaking out of speculative interest, is shuJIT licensed in a GPL compatible
way? could one link kaffe with it?

i think shuJIT is quite interesting, since it uses sun's JIT deprecated
interface. I'm not aware of any free JVM implementing that interface. I'm
wondering if a free software implementation of a glue interface to java jitters
would be desirable.

cheers,
dalibor topic