Re: classpath ChangeLog

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: classpath ChangeLog
Date: 17 Jul 2003 01:31:19 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 17:18, Torsten Rupp wrote:
> Log message:
>       2003-07-16  Torsten Rupp  <address@hidden>
>
>       * configure.in:
>       Some fixes for target native layer (reported by Stephen Crawley)
>
>         2003-07-16  Torsten Rupp  <address@hidden>
>
>         * native/target/generic/target_generic_file.h:
>         Some fixes for target native layer (reported by Stephen Crawley)

One little nit. You have to forgive me, as a new maintainer I am still a
bit uptight. If that doesn't go away in a month or so please kick me or
else I will probably burn up very quickly anyway :)

A ChangeLog entry should be more precise then this. It doesn't have to
explain everything about the change or why it changed (put that as a
comment in the code if necessary). But it should explain exactly what
has changed. That makes finding bugs later so much easier. Also the name
in the ChangeLog entry does not have to be the person who actually
committed the change, it can be the contributer that submitted the
patch. So instead of the above I would have written:

        2003-07-16  Stephen Crawley <address@hidden>

        configure.in (AC_CHECK_HEADERS): Add utime.h and sys/utime.h.
        native/target/generic/target_generic_file.h: Check includes for
        HAVE_UTIME_H or HAVE_SYS_UTIME_H.

There is more on ChangeLogs in the GNU Coding Standards
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_40.html>
And I like the essay by Jim Blandy "Maintaining the ChangeLog":
<http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl/changelogs.html>

End of pedantic mode.