Documentation

From: Sascha Brawer
Subject: Documentation
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:39:18 +0200

Ricky Clarkson <address@hidden> wrote on Tue, 16 Sep
2003 19:59:24 +0100:

>As you've probably guessed by now from previous emails, I'm bored,
>there's nothing on TV, so I'm browsing some Classpath source.  Once I
>can get it to configure and make properly I'll probably concentrate more
>on contributing source and fixing bugs than docs, but at least I know
>(hope) the docs will compile ok :)

It's very nice of you that you are doing this. IMHO, it is really
important to have legible and understandable documentation.

Do people on the list have an opinion about where reviewing/writing
documentation would be especially needed? A few random places might be:

- java.nio.charset.CharsetDecoder/CharsetEncoder
- java.util.logging.FileHandler (search for "FIXME: Javadoc missing");
- javax.swing.JComponent and its subclasses

Personally, I would find it especially helpful to have documentation
about java.awt.peer. However, this would be a bigger task, because one
would have to sift through the Classpath AWT code and find the call
sites. And since these interfaces are only used by AWT and concrete
toolkits, the audience would be rather small. On the other hand, it's a
package where no Sun documentation exists.

In any case, thanks for your contributions!

-- Sascha

Sascha Brawer, address@hidden, http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/