Re: HTML-Rendering engine written in Java?

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: HTML-Rendering engine written in Java?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:23:16 +0200

Hi Stephane,

Stephane Meslin-Weber wrote:
Subsequent to the XOE 1.0 release, Transvirtual ported it to run on

any

JVM, but they never released that code (Transvirtual is no longer in
business).

Just out of curiousity, what's the status of that unreleased code? Has
the copyright/IP rights for that code been released to the developers or
is it in the hands of the creditors?

GPL'd according to the COPYING file in http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pocketlinux/XOE_1.0/src/xoe/COPYING?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

IP would be with, uh, don't know, I guess whoever owns it now, some creditors who lost money on Transvirtual I assume.

It did a pretty spiffy job of rendering a lot of difficult web pages,
and it was reasonably fast too.

Was it in generic Java 1.1 or were there native portions to speed things
up?

They seem to have used html tidy to parse the document. I'd use JTidy in a HTML parser SPI, of course ;) I haven't browsed the other code.

cheers,
dalibor topic