Re: auto-formatting: no more jalopy

From: Etienne Gagnon
Subject: Re: auto-formatting: no more jalopy
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:31:53 -0400

Hi Tom & Brian,

Jalopy seems to fill the needs, on the technical side.  We could take
the latest Free snapshot available before it becomes proprietary to
indent the code.

The only worry I have is that it is not obvious to me if all the licenses of the various parts of jalopy are compatible.

Have a look at:
http://jalopy.sourceforge.net/dependencies.html

This seems like a big legal mess, as some dependent modules are under the GNU GPL (without special exceptions, as far as I know), and others are under the Apache license. We know that these two licenses are incompatible.

Etienne

PS: I have failed to make any meaningful progress on the code indenter this last Summer; my other projects SableCC & SableVM took most of my time (and I took real vacations for the first time in years). I will continue workinf on this indenter, but I think it would be wise for Classpath to investigate Jalopy for the time being.

Brian Jones wrote:
Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

I was just looking at the jalopy lists for any sign of life, and I
found out that jalopy is going proprietary.  So unless someone starts
a free fork, I'm afraid we're left once again without a plausible way
of getting an auto-formatter.  Perhaps Etienne will write his now :-)

Link to the bad news:

https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2526002&forum_id=8775

Looking at CVS now.  I don't care much about most of the editor
plugins.

Brian

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.             http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/