Re: dotnet platform support / gnu config.sub (long)

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: dotnet platform support / gnu config.sub (long)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:38:38 +0200

Guido Draheim wrote:

Dalibor Topic wrote:

Guido Draheim wrote:

For the java machine, the term `jvm` is used universally. I do not
remember there were any dependency on pointer lengths, it runs in
managed mode always.

JVM, JDK, Java, etc. are all trade marks with associated conditions of use. http://www.sun.com/suntrademarks/#J . Are you sure you want/need to use them?

Yes. Actually, if the target is a java'ish machine then they will have to
take care of any of that legalese themselves. The config.sub thing is not
a java'ish thing itself here. - Furthermore, the use context is obviously
talking about compatiblity with a certain vm type and not identity, as
expressed in a lot of corners and we know that config.sub simply trying to
get a "canonic" variant of certain arguments given. jvm, java and similar
names _are_ the canonic variant of anything quite like it but not
the product (trademark!) itself.

AFAIK sun has quite strict rules about claiming compatibility with any of their Java products. Basically, you can't do it, unless you shell out big bucks for a license to their code. But I may misunderstand what you want to say.

No, I've been trying to get a decent cc list for dotnet targets as it is
a platform target that can have C/C++ source code as input - IOW a target
that can be different than the primary target of that software. That's not
the same for java. - I was including java (and python) in the description in an attempt to establish guidelines for (any) other VM-type target platforms.

It's just that all those java'ish runtimes are all somehow different in my experience, so trying to put some kind of 'it's all mutually compatible java' cover on it doesn't really fit. A 'abstract machine'-'runtime' mapping only works as long as there are only a few runtimes available. In java's case, those days are long gone, and the number of options is quite huge, so fitting all of them under the same cap is quite complicated, if not impossible. I assume that in few years, c# will have the similar problem ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic