Re: NYIException

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: NYIException
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:52:03 -0700

David Holmes wrote:

Seems to me that this is a RuntimeException then. Only an application
that is being written for Classpath will be able to take alternative
action if core functionality is missing. Any other application will
just have to throw up its hands.

On the other hand, if the exception is UnsupportedOperationException
then it is possible for a portable application to try an alternative
approach - which may work.

If the exception is a new class, then that is not possible.

If it doesn't catch it, then nothing is lost.

It should *NOT* be a subclass of an existing exception type that has
well defined semantics and is likely to be caught in general
applications - like UnsupportedOperationException. I agree with Jeroen
that not being implemented when it should be, is quite distinct from
not supporting an optional operation.

The latter is true, but the former does not follow.  I think creating
a new non-portable sub-class is solving a non-existent problem.

But more important is throwing *some* exception.  We *must* fix the
current situation where unimplemented methods silently do nothing
or return null.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/