Re: NotYetImplementedError [Was: NYIException]

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: NotYetImplementedError [Was: NYIException]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:23:48 +0200

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
Stephen,

Do as you like.  I do not want to fight on this.  I think that my
proposal is the best approach to (1) handle missing functionality in a
way that will make life easier to users trying to run Java
applications on classpath-based free vms amd (2) mimick the
LinkageError usually expected in case of *unexpected* missing
functionality (in contrast with *expected* missing functionality,
indicated by UnsupportedOperationExcaprion).  You seem to hold on your
vision very strongly, and I am not ready to spend the effort to
convince you.

I'd agree with Etienne, I think his proposal is the best so far, but if Stephen and Per don't like it at all, let it be UnsupportedOperationException.

I'd like to keep the 'please contribute to Classpath if this missing functionality' message though, so let's mandate using

throw new UnsupportedOperationException("not yet implemented: " + reason + gnu.classpath.Recruiting.CONTRIBUTE_PLEASE_MESSAGE);

if that's o.k. with everyone.

cheers,
dalibor topic