Re: NYIException

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: NYIException
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:46:24 +0200

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
Andrew Haley wrote:

Out of interest (and please forgive me if this has already been
discussed at length) why have dummy methods at all?  Wouldn't it be
better to have a compile time failure for unimplemented methods?

I think so, but sometimes (e.g. when implementing interfaces or
extending abstract classes), you're required to provide the methods, but
I agree that not having the unimplemented method is the cleanest
solution.

On the other hand, you can start writing the docs & 'prototypes' for a class without having to fully implement everything. Depends on the point of view, I guess.

And of course, there is the 'you can at least compile it using classpath, even if you can't run it' aspect, that plays a big role for debian and similar 'free software buildable by free tools' efforts, afaik.

cheers,
dalibor topic