Re: NYIException

From: Andy Walter
Subject: Re: NYIException
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:51:35 +0200

Hi Andrew,

On Monday 29 September 2003 19:40, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Throwing an appropriate message will help, of course, but one of the
> advantages of gcj is that you can pre-link and you know you won't get
> runtime linkage errors -- the linker has resolved everything.  Having
> dummy implementations loses this gcj advantage.

Dummy implementations that do nothing are a really bad thing, I agree. But a
dummy implementation that either returns with the correct result or throws a
NYIException makes it clear to the user what had happened.

Currently, we have those dummy methods anyway - and can't get rid of them,
because some methods are partly, but not completely, implemented. With a new
Exception class, the gcj linker could stop with an error message when such a
method is instantiated and thrown. If we abuse any existing JDK Exeption for
it, this would not be possible.

Cheers,

        Andy.

--
aicas GmbH
Haid-und-Neu-Straße 18 * 76131 Karlsruhe