Re: RFC: Spin Java petition

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: RFC: Spin Java petition
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 12:02:58 +0200

I was actually contemplating the idea of an open letter to Arnold Gosling. It
wouldn't have looked like this petition though, much more like what Brian is
saying. Spinning off Java into a business unit is just irrelevant (isn't that
what javasoft.com was supposed to be anyway).

I think the message that needs to be got across is that the status of Sun's
Java source code is not the real issue - there are open-source alternatives
already. What needs to be opened up is the testing and licensing issue, so
that open source (and other independent) implementations can compete fairly
with Sun licensees and JCP sycophants.

Brian is probably right that the IP probably has a high book value, based on
the amount of money that Sun has poured into it over the years. Well, at a
certain moment they're going to have to reassess that value, and admit to
themselves that actually it ain't worth all that much. A lot of doing
business is about knowing when to write off a loss.

Maybe we could thrash something out here and make a Statement in Saarbruecken?

Up the revolution!

Chris

--
Chris Gray                                /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi              http://www.kiffer.be/k/