Re: [really patch] Re: HashMap putAll/putAllInternal bug

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: [really patch] Re: HashMap putAll/putAllInternal bug
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:08:16 +1300

On Oct 9, 2003, at 2:41 AM, Stuart Ballard wrote:

Stuart Ballard wrote:
Bah, forgot the attachment.

Any decision on this?

Kaffe's applied it for their 1.1.2 release (dalibor's comment was "Fight premature micro-optimizations!") but I'd still like to see the fix made to Classpath proper.

There seems to be at least one developer opposed to the patch and at least a couple who are somewhat in favor. If there's any clear consensus, it's eluding me ;) So what happens next?

I wrote a quick test program to examine the behaviour of Sun's ArrayList - and it definitely calls and relies on size(). So, in the case of the List classes our current implementation should probably remain. I'll concede that the Map changes don't really do any harm (apart from the minor efficiency loss) - so go ahead and check that in if you want.

Regards

Bryce.