RE: classpath initialization

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: classpath initialization
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:18:13 +1000

Joseph,

> My problem is that the call stack during initialization of
> the System class I looks something like
> The last line causes an exception, since the static member
> properties isn't initialized yet.

Initialization is quite tricky. Basically your VMClassloader is making
assumptions about the initialization state of the system that are not
valid in the default initialization sequence.

We encountered a similar problem (and others). If we tried to create a
String from a byte[] we needed the EncodingManager which needed to
access a system property but System had not reached a point in
initialization where you could call getProperty. I actually posted an
email to the list about this a couple of weeks ago - which I've
attached below. We had to change the way System.java behaved during
initialization. (Somewhat related we also have to take pains to avoid
referencing String literals early in the VM startup process because
they can't be interned at that point.)

David Holmes