RE: Recent move of Plain[Datagram]SocketImpl

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Recent move of Plain[Datagram]SocketImpl
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:13:16 +0200

Michael Koch wrote:
> > You recently moved PlainSocketImpl and PlainDatagramSocketImpl to
> > the gnu package. Is there any particular reason for this? For me
> > this change is very inconvenient, because my implementations of
> > PlainSocketImpl and PlainDatagramSocketImpl are written in Java, so
> > I would like them to be in the same package (to be able to set the
> > protected fields of SocketImpl and DatagramSocketImpl without using
> > reflection).
>
> Well the special reason was to use these two classes from
> java.nio. To make this possible it was needed to make this classes
> public. Making them public in java.net would violate the JDK API
> compliance of classpath and libgcj.

Thanks for explaining. I worked around it by having my own versions of
the gnu.* classes that extend the java.* classes.

BTW, I noticed that the nio classes use getNativeFD to get at the
underlying handle, I think that at some point in the future this needs
to be changed, because for platforms that don't have an int sized native
handle, this doesn't work that well.

Regards,
Jeroen