org.omg link on Classpath homepage

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: org.omg link on Classpath homepage
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:30:58 -0400

There is a link to http://www.omg.org/ on Classpath's homepage, referencing it as a "provider for free core packages" for the org.omg packages. I have a few questions about this:

1) I can't actually find any downloadable implementation of the org.omg packages in the omg site. It might be helpful to provide a more direct link to exactly where the code can be found.

2) Last I heard, there were some questions about the freeness and/or GPL compatibility of the OMG's license. If that has changed and their classes are clearly unambiguously free and GPL compatible, wouldn't it be a good idea to include them directly in Classpath's CVS? And if not... a) If they're not free, isn't it a violation of GNU project policy to link to them at all - ESPECIALLY without prominently stating that they're not free? b) If they are free but aren't GPL-compatible, shouldn't there be a prominent warning because (if I understand the issues correctly) that would make anything that's simultaneously a derived work of Classpath and the org.omg packages completely unredistributable?

If they *are* free and GPL-compatible but simply not included in Classpath's CVS, it would be nice if whoever's producing japi files these days would include them in Classpath's japi: That would probably increase the number of green packages substantially[1]! :)

Stuart.

[1] Classpath vs JDK1.2 is currently red in only two places: javax.swing and org.omg. You could cut that in half :)
--
Stuart Ballard, Senior Web Developer
FASTNET - Web Solutions