Re: org.omg link on Classpath homepage

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: org.omg link on Classpath homepage
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:22:12 -0400

Mark Wielaard wrote:
I think you are right. It is not a good idea to provide links to software
of which we cannot (currently) guarantee that it is Free Software.
Could you provide a patch (source is in CVS module classpath under
docs/www.gnu.org).

Sure, I'll try to do this in the next couple of days.

Incidentally, the link for the jgss package is also misleading, as the RFC doesn't appear to contain any implementation of the package in question (I scanned all the way to the end, the only source code was examples of usage) and even if it did, the license on the RFC is not free (it does not allow modification of the RFC itself, although certain kinds of derived works are permitted).

(Note that I'm not suggesting that that would prohibit linking to the RFC in general, as the RFC is not software - just that if software source code *were* included in the RFC, that software would not be free).

Should my patch remove that link as well?

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Senior Web Developer
FASTNET - Web Solutions