Re: Classpath and org.omg.*

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: Classpath and org.omg.*
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:45:27 +1300

On Oct 24, 2003, at 10:55 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 20:26, Stuart Ballard wrote:
I think I see a fairly simple way that OMG could preserve the integrity
of the CORBA standard while remaining Free Software. In much the same
way as some Free licenses allow free modification but require that
anyone making such modifications must change the name of the software,
couldn't the OMG say something like:

"You may modify this software, but if you distribute a modified version
you must change the package name to something that does not begin with
'org.omg'."

That would restrict certain functionality since package scoping is an
important functionality of the java language. It has meaning to the
language runtime. So this would not be something we could use to provide
a free software implementation.

Mark,

How does the org.omg spec differ from the java.* spec which is also non-modifiable according to its license?

Bryce.