Re: CVS configure.in is broken

From: Stephen Crawley
Subject: Re: CVS configure.in is broken
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:05:40 +1000

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 19:52, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > apparently the configure.in in CVs is broken. I tried the
> > aclocal; autoheader; automake; autoconf
> > routine as recommended in the HACKING document, but it doesn't work:=20
> > aclocal complains about
> >=20
> > aclocal: configure.in: 134: macro `AM_PATH_GTK_2_0' not found in library
> > aclocal: configure.in: 137: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0' not found in library
> > aclocal: configure.in: 140: macro `AM_PATH_LIBART' not found in library
> >=20
> > and it's all down from there ;)
>
> Also from the HACKING document:
>
>         the following are required.
>         =20
>                 - GTK+ 2.x.x
>                 - libart_lgpl 2.1.0
>
> Those packages should provide the missing AM_ macros.

There is an alternative workaround to this.  There is an ugly hack in
the configure.ac file that allows you configure to Classpath with
--disable-gtk-peer on a platform that does not have GTK+ 2.x.x.

This workaround allows you to build / use Classpath for non-GUI apps if
you are stuck with an older Linux distro that only has GTK+ 1.x.x.
(Retrofitting GTK+ 2.x.x can be really hard because of the number of
libraries and applications that need to be upgraded.  At least, that
was what I found with RedHat 7.2.)

-- Steve

P.S.  This should be documented in the HACKING file, since the question
      seems to come up every few months.