Re: VMInterface addition: Make native library names part of VMInterface

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: VMInterface addition: Make native library names part of VMInterface
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:15:55 +1300

On Oct 27, 2003, at 1:05 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

Hi,

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 19:43, Dalibor Topic wrote:
One of the things I keep stumbling over whenever I merge code from
Classpath into Kaffe is the different native library names. Would it be possible to separate those out into their own VMInterface class and use
references instead?

I'd prefer something like

System.loadLibrary(VMNativeLibraries.IO);

to what we have now,

System.loadLibrary("javaio");

I suggest to move the System.loadLibrary("javaio") calls completely into
the VMInterface classes. We want to have a system where (at least for
lang, net, io and util) we have the "native" calls in the VMInterface
classes. We then provide a reference implementation that implements this
with JNI using our own libraries.

I don't think that is a good idea. IMO the VMInterface should define the interface to a particular VM, not the entire native interface for all classes. Things like java.net and java.io will typically have the same native interface across different VMs.

Regards

Bryce.