Re: Modular InetAddress

From: Guilhem Lavaux
Subject: Re: Modular InetAddress
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:25:43 +0100

Bryce McKinlay wrote:

On Oct 26, 2003, at 10:31 PM, Guilhem Lavaux wrote:

here is a quick patch to be able to have a modular getHostByName and a getHostByAddr. To change implementation the user has just to provide a property gnu.java.net.dns
containing the full class name of an implementation.

Hi Guilhem,

I'm not convinced that we need this. I know it is a feature of kaffe, but who is using it? What sort of system has sockets but no native ability to look up a DNS address?

Hi Bryce,

The problem may not be the inability to look up a DNS address but some other limitations: * non reentrancy of the native implementation (it may occur on old systems (libc5) and we want to support as much system as possible) * blocking solver (some JVM like kaffe may not use pthreads but some other compatible systems which is not compatible with
native implementation of "gethostbyname")
* non fully compliance concerning the decoding of the incoming answers from DNS.

It is clear that implementing this structure has also drawbacks:
* slightly heavier and slower than directly calling native methods for systems which native calls are OK, (pure virtual methods) * we call a package which is able to return a lot of informations we don't use

But the big advantage is that you have a replacement for buggy/non-friendly systems.

Regards,
Guilhem.