Jikes RVM 2.3.1 released (uses classpath 0.07)

From: David P Grove
Subject: Jikes RVM 2.3.1 released (uses classpath 0.07)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:36:19 -0500

Hi,

        We thought some people on this list might be interested in knowing that we've released a new version of Jikes RVM that is using classpath 0.07.  If this kind of posting is not appropriate, let me know and we won't cross post release announcements in the future.  Appended below is the release announcement.

--dave

Jikes RVM 2.3.1 is now available from the developerworks web site (http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm/).

The release notes are appended below.

*Sections of this document:

*Highlights

*Other Notes

*Bug Fixes

*Highlights of this release include:

**Mac OSX is now supported!

Generously contributed by Chris Hoffman of the University of

Massachusetts (USA).

***Details:

If you want to build Jikes RVM for Mac OSX, you will need to patch

your copy (version 0.06 or better) of GNU Classpath with the patch

file located in aux/gnu-classpath-on-mac-osx.patch.

** Seven user contributions incorporated since 2.3.0

*** Contributions were improvements to JMTk from Robin Garner,

port to OSX from Chris Hoffman, refCount coalescing extension from Ian

Warrington, bug fixes for the OSX port and opt compiler on PPC from

Alan Lawrence, implementation of -jar cmd line arg from Anders Biehl

Norgaard, and support for getting the classpath from CLASSPATH envar

from Philippe Faes.

** Switched to classpath 0.07

*** Classpath 0.06 is expected to also work with this release of Jikes RVM,

but we recommend upgrading to the latest classpath release.

**Build system improvements:

***If you run "jbuild" with --trace,

you actually get all of the relevant shell commands printed out.

***Under jbuild --trace=make, whenever we change directories, we report it

This is parseable by Emacs's compilation-mode.  --trace=make is

enabled automatically by "--trace" without any arguments.

***More error-checking functionality added to the build system.

***Cleaned up a couple of bogus warnings

one could get in some versions of the Bourne-Again Shell (Bash).

***We can make automatic binary installations of Jikes RVM

There's a new generated script, "$RVM_BUILD/jbuild.install", that does

this.  Handy way to save off a configuration that works before making

changes.  Also lets us make a binary distribution of Jikes RVM, should

it be desirable.

***New build options, JAVAC_WARNING_FLAGS and JIKES_WARNING_FLAGS

These variables replace the former hardcoded "-nowarn", and can be set

arbitrarily. They default to "-nowarn" for historical compatibility.

It means you can now get helpful warnings from the Java compiler.

**Improvements to automatic download of GNU Classpath libraries.

***We now use wget to download a classpath release instead of doing a

cvs checkout.  This avoids the problematic aclocal/autoconf/etc step

and means that automatic downloading should work for all users and is

now the recommended default.

**Progress in PowerPC64 port: we can run hello world

***The Jikes RVM port to PPC64 has progressed to the point where a prototype

configuration boots and can run many simple programs.

Getting this far requires that lots of things are working, so it is a

fairly significant step.  However, there is more work to do with

prototype and we haven't started work on the opt compiler. This is very

much a work in progress (and members of the community are encouraged

to help!).

*Other notes:

***We have fixed all C and C++ compiler warnings in the Linux/x86 source

code, under GCC 2.96, GCC 3.3, and GCC 3.3.1.  The only exception is

warnings from GCC 2.96 of the form:

       ihnpdsm.C:4942: warning: `unused' attribute ignored

They are benign; ignore them.

***__linuxsmp__ has now been officially exorcised from the source.

*Bug Fixes:

***Debugging output no longer can drift into InterfaceDeclarations.h;

GenerateInterfaceDeclarations.java takes a new "-out" option.

***--trace=preprocessor now lists all of the directories consistently.

***Cross-building from Linux to AIX now works better.

You can now set RVM_ROOT and RVM_BUILD to different values on the host

and the target machines.

****Details:

If you don't have RVM_ROOT and/or RVM_BUILD set in your environment

when you run the booter on the target, then "jbuild -booter" will use

the (recorded) values from the host.  If you do have one or both of

them set, they'll be used as appropriate.

It is now the case that, when you run "jconfigure" and "jbuild", you

should have your PATH set so that there is some Bash version in it

somewhere under the name "bash".

*** Other misc bugs fixed as well; see the bug tracking software.