Re: [kaffe] Classpath AWT progress.

From: S. Meslin-Weber
Subject: Re: [kaffe] Classpath AWT progress.
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:47:36 -0000

Hi Sascha, James,

to the toolkit. All Classpath toolkits would be mandated to subclass
gnu.java.awt.ClasspathToolkit. The intention is to keep the platform
dependencies limited to as few places as possible. There was some debate
about whether GraphicsEnvironment or Toolkit would be the appropriate
place for this, and the apparent conclusion, at the time, was that
Toolkit would be preferable.

I fear that this will limit the usefulness of non-Classpath toolkits as the majority of them are intended for use in a cross-JVM way and have a Toolkit implementation that derives directly from java.awt.Toolkit.

These external toolkits/peers would either have to replace Classpath's java.awt.Toolkit in the bootclasspath or use some other class gymnastics to avoid using Classpath-specific interfaces.

I'll explain:

I'm concerned with the Classpath-specific interface aspect because this brings in the dreaded 'linking' clause of the GPL (as understood by debian-legal). Such linkage implies the requirement for the external toolkit to be GPL'd too. This would limit the appeal for companies to make the effort to be Classpath-compatible. QtAWT from Trolltech for instance is not going to be GPL'd anytime soon.

It's been suggested that external toolkit implementors provide an empty ClasspathToolkit and this would work; but requires additional work from toolkit implementors. Most Open Source toolkit implementors would probably be prepared to do this - commercial ones are unlikely to.

Just in case people are wondering, other toolkits include:

- PJA at http://www.eteks.com/pja/en/
- Charva at http://www.pitman.co.za/projects/charva/
- fbAWT at http://adorphuye.com/zaurus/java/faq.jsp?section=Java+Extensions&subsection=fbAWT - QtAWT from http://www.trolltech.com (unfortunately not publicly available _yet_)
- ... and few others

I understand that certain awt classes that have platform dependencies can be constructed directly by user applications and as such need custom handling directly in the java.awt.* class. But so far, only java.awt.Font seems to require this as both Toolkit and GraphicsEnvironment on Sun's SDK use the system properties to set platform dependent ones:

java.awt.graphicsenv=
awt.Toolkit=

These can be inferred from a dump of the System properties, an example of which can be found at:
http://bbs.rhaon.co.kr/mywiki/moin.cgi/ProgrammingTips_2fSystemProperties

For me, the GPL issue is not that important, but if we want companies with their own Toolkits to use GNU Classpath we need to offer them a way of doing this without resorting to GPL-ing their code (as that is something they may not be allowed to do).

Thanks,

Steph Meslin-Weber