Re: Revolution Action (was: Re: [Little Off Topic] Revolution ison ; ))

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Revolution Action (was: Re: [Little Off Topic] Revolution ison ; ))
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:52:56 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 10:37, Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:

> I think it's really great opportunity for Free Java folks to meet.
> I don't mean that we need to separate ourselves from all the rest of the
> meeting ;) but it would certainely be good if we had our place.

I went last year and it is certainly nice to hear about all those free
software projects out there. It is done by volunteers and the people who
come really want to present their projects and attract new hackers that
want to be work together. It is great fun and gives you a good overview
of the big picture.

> Now - I am not sure how I should proceed from here.
>
> But I am certain that I would want to utilze my time during FOSDEM in
> the best ways and, because I view this as one of these ways,
> - I'd be rather unhappy if this didn't work out because of some
> oversight on my side.
>
> Opinions? Advices?

Make sure that you try to contact the organization about your plans.
http://www.fosdem.org/2004/index/contact/
It is good to make sure they know how many people are interested in
meeting. And they can advise what is the best for the conference. Having
a developer room where we can all meet from time to time between the
general talks will be great since then we can discuss some of the things
in a smaller setting which can be much more technical then a general
talk. But having more general talks will certainly be nice to attract
more (future) free software hackers. I am really not sure how much of
the program has already been set in stone at this stage.

And even if we cannot present all our technical knowledge and wonders to
the masses it will be nice to meet each other. I would be very glad even
if all we did was shake hands and got a drink somewhere together. Being
able to sit down and just talk face-to-face is great for people who
normally can only work virtually together.