Re: [Discuss] UserLinux & free runtimes for java applications

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Discuss] UserLinux & free runtimes for java applications
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:33:13 -0800

Bruce Perens wrote:

I would like to hear the current wisdom regarding licensing issues of proprietary Java applications running on Classpath and the free VMs. We'd like to support proprietary applications.

Kaffe, according to kaffe.org, is GPL.  There is disagreement about
whether that allows running proprietary Java applications (which
may include native C/C++ methods in shared libraries).  It probably
does, but you'd want a lawyer to evaluate the issue.

GCJ's runtime uses "GPL + exception" which is intended to allow
use with proprietary code, even for embedded systems (when LGPL
causes problems).

To expand on Dalibor's point:

> In reality, there is no such thing as a Java standard: tha language,
> library and virtual machine specification haven't been blessed by
> any standards body.

Even Sun doesn't have a specification of the libraries:  The
specification is the implementation (combined with some testsuites
that Sun still won't make available to Free Software projects).

> i) RedHat's enterprise linux distribution uses GCJ to build important
> java enterprise apps like tomcat as native applications.

Fedora Core 2 will also supposedly include GCJ-based Tomcat etc.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/