Re: FYI: Patch: java.awt.image.PixelGrabber

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: FYI: Patch: java.awt.image.PixelGrabber
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:09:35 -0700

How hard would it be to update the configure/Makefile.am to check that the compiler supports assert, and to enable any command-line option necessary to turn it on? Jikes supports assert when the `-source 1.4' flag is used.

Speaking of which, I probably ought to see if I can push out a new version of jikes. And if I do that, I can bump the default source version of jikes to support 1.4 out of the box, with prior source versions requiring the command-line option. It has been more than a year since the last official release, and I have put in several bug fixes since then (although my coding time on jikes, and on classpath, has greatly diminished now that I have graduated from school).

Tom Tromey wrote:
"Mark" == Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

Mark> Lets keep asserts out of Classpath sources for now since by default not
Mark> all compilers support it. But I do like to see them in the future if we
Mark> can actually use them more then in one or two spots.

Personally I'd like to see us push the envelope a little and allow
`assert'.

The lurking issue here is choosing a source language version.  For API
coverage it is ok to do what we've been doing, namely not pick a
version and let things float toward the latest release.  This doesn't
work too well for the source version though.

This is going to bite us big time when generics are introduced.

Tom
--
Someday, I might put a cute statement here.

Eric Blake             address@hidden