Re: [patch #2388] DefaultTableCellRenderer update

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: [patch #2388] DefaultTableCellRenderer update
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:52:42 +0100

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:32:35PM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> Michael Koch <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > This mail is an automated notification from the patch tracker
> >  of the project: classpath.
> >
> > /**************************************************************************/
> > [patch #2388] Latest Modifications:
> >
> > Changes by:
> >             Michael Koch <address@hidden>
> > 'Date:
> >             Mon 01/12/04 at 12:03 (GMT)
> >
> > ------------------ Additional Follow-up Comments
> > ----------------------------
> > Some problems with this patch:
> >
> > - no changelog entry
>
> And what is this?
>
>  2003-12-01  Arnaud Vandyck  <address@hidden>
>
>       * javax/swing/table/DefaultTableCellRenderer.java
>       (DefaultTableCellRenderer): Added javadoc for the class and for
>       the constructor, Border instance, create an EmptyBorder.
>       (UIResource): Removed the comment at the end of the class
>       (setForeground): New method.
>       (setBackground): New method.
>       (updateUI): New method.
>       (getTableCellRendererComponent): rewritten with the help of
>       dvholten and Stephane Meslin-Weber.
>       (validate): New method.
>       (repaint): New method.
>       (firePropertyChange): New method.
>       (setValue): New method.

Oh, I totally overlooked this.

> > - we dont wanna add stubbed methods anymore. Either implement it or leave
> > it out.
>
> Sorry if I left a stub method... Which one? Lot of methods in this
> component are empty because they override parent and they DO NOTHING
> (it's the way they are! because it's the table that make the renderer)
>
> ... if I understood it right! ;)

If thats the case the you should really add this as comment to method
like this:

public void foobar()
{
  // This methods needs to be overridden in subclasses to actually do
  // somthing.
}

A comment in the method documentation can't hurt too but "Does nothing."
is a little bit short and undesciptive why this method does nothing.

Michael