Re: [patch #2388] DefaultTableCellRenderer update

From: Arnaud Vandyck
Subject: Re: [patch #2388] DefaultTableCellRenderer update
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:18:00 +0100

Michael Koch <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:32:35PM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>> Michael Koch <address@hidden> writes:
>> > - no changelog entry
>> And what is this?
[...]
> Oh, I totally overlooked this.
NP.

>> > - we dont wanna add stubbed methods anymore. Either implement it or
>> > leave it out.
>>
>> Sorry if I left a stub method... Which one? Lot of methods in this
>> component are empty because they override parent and they DO NOTHING
>> (it's the way they are! because it's the table that make the renderer)
>>
>> ... if I understood it right! ;)
>
> If thats the case the you should really add this as comment to method
> like this:
>
> public void foobar()
> {
>   // This methods needs to be overridden in subclasses to actually do
>   // somthing.
> }
>
> A comment in the method documentation can't hurt too but "Does nothing."
> is a little bit short and undesciptive why this method does nothing.

Yes, I should comment, sorry. The fact is some methods in this component
are overriden because it's the table that does redraw all the components
and if each component redraw it self, it'll take too much time.

I thing I still have some mails that explain exactly what happens (some
devs on this list helped me).

You know Mark, it took me a long time to understand and to implement
(event empty methods because I was not sure I have to leave it empty)
and I really want a working swing implementation, not just a library to
compile (but not to run). Believe me, when I do send a patch, I try that
it's really useful ;)... even if I make mistakes ;)

I already do follow your coding standards, next time, I'll comment my
code ;)

Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
Formateur Cellule Programmation.