Re: Patch: logging.properties

From: Sascha Brawer
Subject: Re: Patch: logging.properties
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:30:54 +0100

Michael Koch <address@hidden> wrote on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:06:39 +0100:

>> [Patch for adding logging.properties]
>>>Please review and comment. Any better ideas ?
>>
>> Would you mind explaining why exactly this patch is needed? Thanks.
>
>This patch is needed to add logging.properties. This file describes and
>overrides the built-in defaults for java.util.logging.  It's needed to let
>administrators overwrite the defaults on a global basis.
>
>JDK/JRE does it this way, libgcj does it this way and classpath should
>too.

Umh, I know what the purpose of the logging.properties file is (I've
written the java.util.logging implementation). What bothers me is the
comment in the patch: "Most of the defaults are compiled in, so this file
is fairly minimal."

The logging framework should assign default values for _all_ properties
when the logging.properties file is not present, or if it is empty. If
the logging.properties was actually needed, this would indicate a bug in
the java.util.logging implementation. While adding the logging.properties
file would be a workaround, I'd rather like to fix the bug.

Do you have some code that does not work without the patch?

-- Sascha

Sascha Brawer, address@hidden, http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/