Re: [Sablevm-developer] Release progress - problems w/ 'make distcheck'

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: [Sablevm-developer] Release progress - problems w/ 'make distcheck' of classpath
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:40:39 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 14:04, Michael Koch wrote:
> > > *** Semantic Error: A candidate for type
> > > "TransformerFactoryConfigurationError" was found, but it is invalid and
> > > needs to be fixed before this type will successfully compile.
> > >

> > > I guess some .java files aren't included in the tarball? or...?
> > >
> > > Help w/ this issue would be greatly apprieciated.
> >
> > Ugh, so it isn't my setup :{
> > I get the same with a clean "upstream" classpath.
> > Somehow one of the gnu jaxp .java files ends up in the root build dir!?!
> >
> > I'll try to fix make distcheck for classpath soon (hopefully tonight).
> >

> I do "make distcheck" on a daily basis in the daily build scripts on
> Patrick Reali's server. They dont broke. I do this here locally too on a
> regular basis and didnt broke.
>
> I think this error occurs because of the compiler used to compile to
> bytecode is buggy or configure did something strange. classpath uses
> jikes (1.18) here locally to compile to bytecode and this works great.

It wasn't the compiler. It seems to be my version of tar !?!?!
I just downgraded tar from 1.13.92-4 to 1.13.25-6
(Debian unstable to Debian testing version) and everything works again.

For some mysterious reason this newer version of tar puts
classpath-0.07+cvs/external/jaxp/source/javax/xml/transform/TransformerFactoryConfigurationError.java
in the tar file as plain "TransformerFactoryConfigurationError.java"
without any directory path. Can someone confirm that downgrading tar
helps.

It sounds fishy, but maybe it is because this path is just one larger
then 100 (101) characters. I read somewhere that tar handles file names
longer then 100 chars special (and different depending on Posix/GNU/etc)

P.S. I get much further now, but at the end I get the following error:

ERROR: files left in build directory after distclean:
./native/fdlibm/DEPDIR
./native/fdlibm/=
./native/jni/classpath/DEPDIR
./native/jni/classpath/=
./native/jni/java-awt/DEPDIR
./native/jni/java-awt/=
./native/jni/java-io/DEPDIR
./native/jni/java-io/=
./native/jni/java-lang/DEPDIR
./native/jni/java-lang/=
./native/jni/java-net/DEPDIR
./native/jni/java-net/=
./native/jni/java-nio/DEPDIR
./native/jni/java-nio/=
./native/jni/java-util/DEPDIR
./native/jni/java-util/=
./native/jni/gtk-peer/DEPDIR
./native/jni/gtk-peer/=
make[1]: *** [distcleancheck] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/mark/src/classpath-obj/classpath-0.07+cvs/_build'
make: *** [distcheck] Error 2

Still investigating.