Re: SCSL and FSF

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: SCSL and FSF
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:45:38 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 23:18, Michael Emmel wrote:
> Sun has offered to clarify the SCSL license and its effect on projects
> such and Gnu Classpath.
>
> This happened in the following discussion thread
>
> http://www.javalobby.org/thread.jspa?messageID=91789909&threadID=11559&forumID=61

Thanks for forwarding this.
Good to see so much enthousiasm about our FOSDEM meeting. It really does
feel like we have enough critical mass now. There is now enough free
code for the libraries, VMs and compilers to do useful things. And
people are now actually using it to creating completely free
applications. So we will see lots of interesting things for the free
platforms in the near future.

I'll try to formulate the concerns of the Free Software projects about
the SCSL, contributions of people who have studied other implementations
of the core classes that want to help the free projects (contributions
which we currently cannot accept since legal counsel has advised against
that) and the way we think the JCP process and the TCK
licensing/distribution terms are unhelpful now for collaboration on Free
Software implementations.

Please give me a couple of days to contact the right people. And to make
sure we formulate our questions and concerns coherently. I want to avoid
an ESR style letter which I think is not helpful. Hopefully we can start
a dialog that helps both the people that care about the Free Software
movement and people that care about standardization of jave-like
platforms. I'll make sure to contact Onno with some specific issues in
the next two weeks

Sincerely,

Mark Wielaard
GNU Classpath Maintainer