Imported gnu.regexp and java.util.regex wrappers

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Imported gnu.regexp and java.util.regex wrappers
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:00:46 +0100

Hi all,

I finally imported gnu.regexp and added java.util.regex wrappers for it.
At the moment our gnu.regexp is the same as the original gnu.regexp
version, except for a few files and added copyright notices.

If this doesn't break things then I want to ship this as is with the
0.08 release. Then we can see how it works in practice. Some thing to
consider is that Wes might want to have a separate release of this, then
we have to think about how to avoid name/classloading-clashes (since the
integration means it is now part of the core/bootclasspath). Wes, do you
have ideas about how we can coordinate releases? And/Or do you want to
make releases from/in combination with new classpath releases?

Since this took longer then expected I didn't make a real or test 0.08
release (sorry). I really want someone to check this out first and see
if the Mauve tests work. With jamvm (plus a hack to get VMClassLoader
getResource() working [*]) I get:

$ (echo gnu.testlet.java.util.regex.CharacterClasses; echo
gnu.testlet.java.util.regex.PatternSplit) | jamvm gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness
FAIL: gnu.testlet.java.util.regex.PatternSplit: test: (?=[a-z]) (number 1)
1 of 2295 tests failed

I have some more tests, which aren't checked in yet, that show some
other areas where out java.util.regex isn't syntax compatible yet. So we
need to do some work here. But for simple things this implementation
works OK. For example the Eclipse 3.0 regex use seems to be satisfied
with this installed and Anthony Green played with this implementation
and the regex use of freetts, which also seemed to work. So it is
certainly a real step forward.

Attached is the ChangeLog (full patch omitted since it contains mostly
new files).

[*] gnu.regexp tries to load a ResourceBundle to get localized messages.
Since these classes are now part of the bootclasspath they will be
loaded through VMClassLoader.getResource(), so make sure your VM
supports that.
2004-03-07  Mark Wielaard  <address@hidden>

        * configure.ac: Add gnu/regexp/Makefile and
        resource/gnu/regexp/Makefile
        * gnu/Makefile.am (SUBDIRS): Add regexp.
        * gnu/regexp/Makefile.am: New file.
        * gnu/regexp/CharIndexed.java: Imported.
        * gnu/regexp/CharIndexedCharArray.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/CharIndexedInputStream.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/CharIndexedString.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/CharIndexedStringBuffer.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RE.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/REException.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/REFilterInputStream.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/REMatch.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/REMatchEnumeration.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RESyntax.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/REToken.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenAny.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenBackRef.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenChar.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenEnd.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenEndSub.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenOneOf.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenPOSIX.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenRange.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenRepeated.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenStart.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/RETokenWordBoundary.java: Likewise.
        * gnu/regexp/UncheckedRE.java: Likewise.
        * java/util/regex/Matcher.java: Add gnu.regexp wrappers.
        * java/util/regex/Pattern.java: Likewise.
        * resource/gnu/Makefile.am (SUBDIRS): Add regexp.
        * resource/gnu/regexp/Makefile.am: New file.
        * resource/gnu/regexp/MessagesBundle.properties: Imported.
        * resource/gnu/regexp/MessagesBundle_fr.properties: Likewise.