Re: access modifier for FileDescriptor.setNativeFd(long)

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: access modifier for FileDescriptor.setNativeFd(long)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:55:58 +0100

Am Samstag, 20. März 2004 07:04 schrieb Christian Grothoff:
> Hi!
>
> I'm currently porting parts of GNU classpath to OVM
> (http://www.ovmj.org).  In the process I hit a problem with the
> access modifier of
> FileDescriptor.setNativeFd(long).  In order to avoid having to set
> that field using reflection, I would need that method to be default
> (currently private).
>
> I believe that change is generally the right thing to do. First, a
> private accessor method makes little sense anyway.  Also, in a
> similar context the native_fd field in gnu.java.net.PlainSocketImpl
> is also package-scoped (default) (there is a tiny difference in that
> PlainSocketImpl does not use accessor methods, but I don't think it
> matters either way).

Well, the patch is fine in general but not needed. libgcj contains some
big improvements where all the native stuff on FileDescriptor gets
moved to FileChannelImpl (in java NIO). This is both, a cleanup and a
speed improvement (hopefully). There are some bugs that make in
uncompilable with jikes yet. When this is fixed I will merge this into
GNU classpath and all will get happy. I think this will be in next GNU
classpath release (0.09).

Thanks for your contribution. Unfortunately there is other work going
on.

Michael